Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Laundry Room Cabinet Tutorial Part 2 - Cabinet Finish Work

If you missed the previous posts on the Laundry Room Makeover, you can catch up on them here:

&

We left off on the last post after just mounting the cabinet base - 


After installing it, I sanded, primed and painted the cabinet.  I rolled the primer and paint with a cabinet sponge roller.  While I was priming, I rolled the primer on and used a spray paint primer for the cracks and spots the roller couldn't reach. 

Next, I installed rounded edge primed mdf boards to all sides of the cabinet.  I used 3 1/2 inch boards on the top, sides, and middle of the cabinet, and a 2 1/2 inch board across the bottom.  Lastly, I attached crown along the top 3 1/2 inch board.  After puttying, calking, and painting AGAIN (I found it easier to putty, calk, and paint the cabinet and molding at different times), it FINALLY looked like this - 


Next up was to create the cabinet doors.  I purchased 1/4" sheets of birch wood for the faces and attached 2 1/2" primed mdf boards to frame it with liquid nails and 1/4" brad nails - 




After more calking, puttying, sanding, and painting...I attached oil rubbed bronze hinges and knobs and hung them up.

And walla!  Custom cabinets for a fraction of the price!  



Total cost came out to about $200. 

Again, the before:


And the after:


I have a few more projects up my sleeve for the other side of this room that I can't wait to share with you!

11 comments:

Meredith Atkinson said...

We need you to live with us for a couple of months and tackle some "projects" here. You're amazing!

DeeAnna said...

I love this. I am so inspired, Thank you!

Angie @ Burton Avenue said...

Your doors look amazing. I have a closet that needs some doors and I'm too cheap to pay for custom made doors. I am going to try your method! Thanks so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

I'm in love with this. The difference between the before and after is such a HUGE difference. I love it

Rachel @ Little Kitchen, Big Bites said...

you are ridiculously talented!

Trish Atkinson said...

Thanks everyone!

Trish Atkinson said...

@ Polly - thanks for your comment!

MDF board stands for Medium density fibreboard (can be found at your local Home Depot or Lowes). Here is the definition I found online from wikipedia.org. -

"Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product formed by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure.[1] MDF is denser than plywood. It is made up of separated fibres, but can be used as a building material similar in application to plywood. It is stronger and much more dense than normal particle board."

Hope that helps!!

Anne Tolch said...

I love the paint color! What color and brand is it?

Anne Tolch said...

These are beautiful! What color paint did you use?








Anne Tolch said...

These are beautiful! What paint did you use?

Anne Tolch said...

These are beautiful! What paint did you use?