If you missed the previous posts on the Laundry Room Makeover, you can catch up on them here:
We left off on the last post after just mounting the cabinet base -
After installing it, I sanded, primed and painted the cabinet. I rolled the primer and paint with a cabinet sponge roller. While I was priming, I rolled the primer on and used a spray paint primer for the cracks and spots the roller couldn't reach.
Next, I installed rounded edge primed mdf boards to all sides of the cabinet. I used 3 1/2 inch boards on the top, sides, and middle of the cabinet, and a 2 1/2 inch board across the bottom. Lastly, I attached crown along the top 3 1/2 inch board. After puttying, calking, and painting AGAIN (I found it easier to putty, calk, and paint the cabinet and molding at different times), it FINALLY looked like this -
Next up was to create the cabinet doors. I purchased 1/4" sheets of birch wood for the faces and attached 2 1/2" primed mdf boards to frame it with liquid nails and 1/4" brad nails -
After more calking, puttying, sanding, and painting...I attached oil rubbed bronze hinges and knobs and hung them up.
And walla! Custom cabinets for a fraction of the price!
Total cost came out to about $200.
Again, the before:
And the after:
I have a few more projects up my sleeve for the other side of this room that I can't wait to share with you!