Thursday, April 12, 2012

Finally, I've Got Built-Ins!


When we built our house 7 years ago I dreamed of built-ins for our small loft that houses our office area.  However, I soon realized that custom cabinets = e.x.p.e.n.s.i.v.e!  I opted for these ladder book shelves instead - 



 It worked for a while, but I didn't get the storage, functionality, or display room that I wanted and envisioned.     
And then I saw Kate from Centsational Girl's Ikea Billy Bookcases turned custom built-ins, and all that I envisioned for this room seemed within reach!

She used these Ikea BILLY bookcases

 Added some molding and made them look like this - 



She is amazing!
Here is her after pic.  She painted the backs of the bookcases a beautiful blue - 


Gorgeous right?!

So, $250 dollars later I went from this - 


 to this - 




(The angle I had to take these make the bookcases look HUGE and overbearing in the photo, but in reality they are very proportionate to the space.)

I did these three pieces from Ikea's BILLY bookcase for my wall unit, total cost for this was $139.97 - 

 

I spent $100 on molding, calk, wood filler, nails, and paint.  I used Kate's recommendation of Valspar's Dove White, which was indeed a very close match.  Due to there not being a wall on each side of the shelves, I had to be creative with my molding on the end to make it look finished.  Here is what the side looks like - 




I love how Kate painted the backs of her's, I am thinking a soft shade of gray/blue might look good in the space. 
I have more plans for this space that I can't wait to complete and show you!






2 comments:

Jenny said...

They look AMAZING!!! Nice work!

Jenny

Kate Riley said...

Totally awesome Trish, are you so so in love! I mean what an improvement and what an amazing price! Bravo girl, be proud!
xo
kate