Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Antique Thrift Store Small Table Makeover

Last winter I found this cute little end table at a small thrift shop for $15.  It may look very cool and antiqued from the photo; however, it really was just plain gross.  It smelled, had spider egg sacs, webs, and dead bugs all in it, and was very very dirty.


As you can see from the picture below, the top layer of the table was lifting and peeling off.  This baby was OLD!  I was told from a reliable source that it was made between the 1600-1800's after they inspected it.  After how much love it has weathered, I believe it!


I immediately pried the top layer of the table off to get to the soft even wood below.  Being winter and cold, stripping and sanding this thing took months!

I filled in all the holes, nicks and dents with wood putty to sand some more:


If you look to the back of the table in the photo below you will see I was left with a portion of the table not covered after I pried the top off.  I added a 1x2 piece of wood cut to fit the space, then proceeded to shave and contour the edges to flow with the rest of the top.


And then sanded some more, and more, and more.  It finally was ready to paint!  I chose Sherwin Williams Underseas:


I also fell in love with these beautiful knobs from Hobby Lobby (when they were on sale for 50% off of course :).


It fit perfectly for the small space on the other side of my guest bed!


The room is feeling a little more complete!


I am linking up to the following parties:










Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden


















Photobucket
















Photobucket



7 comments:

Artsy VaVa said...

What a great makeover! You put a lot of time into it and it shows! I love that table and the color you chose. Don't you love great finds like that? I have a friend who has never been to thrift stores and I'm taking her tomorrow. She'll be hooked I'm sure!

karina, ink. said...

that is such a beautiful piece & its makeover is fantastic! such a great job!

surgery??? i hope you're doing better!

p.s. the color is called stone taupe from lowe's. AND THANK YOU!!!

Kahli said...

This table is so beautiful. Love that color!

Sarah said...

I don't even have words..I love this. This is exactly the kind of find I hope to make for my nightstand. Amazing job on the transformation!
Sarah
www.budgetfriendlydecorating.com

Lynne said...

Gorgeous! I love the colour!

Janny said...

Wow! You're brave to take on a piece of furniture with creepy crawlies all over it. I have a hard time envisioning how an ugly piece of furniture will look after it's all made up. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

WOW! What a transformation!! I think I would of been scared to tackle that table!! It's beautiful, great job!!